Wednesday, June 07, 2017

RMP Success Story: Go for It and Enjoy The Journey

By Hendro Hadiwinoto, PMP, ACP, RMP



I’m happy share my RMP® examination experience with you. I did my contact hour learning from Udemy’s Risk Management Professional - online version. 

This course was really cheap and thanks to the provider that! 

Below is the list of material I referred for my RMP exam. 



Materials Referred
  • The PMBOK® Guide, 5th Edition by Project Management Institute (PMI®). It is a must read. 
  • Practice Standard Project Risk Management. It is a must read and specifically Appendix D.
  • Book “I Want To Be A RMP” by Satya Narayan Dash. 
  • Other than that, I also referred couple of other books. 
  • You can also refer some statistics book if you have time. 
  • Videos on risk management, Monte Carlo analysis, LHS, AHP from YouTube 


I gave the following mock exams.
  • Two mock exams from “I Want To Be A RMP”. The mock exam questions are tougher than the real exam. 
  • Ucertify.com - Free trial version.
  • Pmvision.ca, which has over 700+ questions.

I had also joined the Linked in Study Group“RMP Study Group”.



Satya’s eBook – "I Want To Be A RMP"
Perhaps, I was one of the fortunate ones who has the access to review Satya's book - "I Want to be a RMP". I had purchased it from Satya and got a good discount from him. Now it is my part to give back my review about this e-book.

In my view, the key points from this book are noted below. 
  • Inputs, Tools & Techniques and Outputs (ITTOs) are extremely important from the RMP exam standpoint. These are explained very well with process flow diagrams. Need to remember all. 
  • Other than ITTOs for the RM processes, if you have time, grasp the ITTOs in Communication management and Stakeholder management knowledge area.
  • There are two full length mock exams in the book, other than the practice questions at the end of every chapter. They are difficult enough and bit difficult than the actual exam. 
  • The book uses Primavera Risk Analysis tool as a reference to give practical understanding. If you don’t have or have not used Privamera Risk analysis, you can substitute by Companion Minitab, @Risk or other Risk Management software. Trying Monte Carlo simulation (this book uses Primavera Risk Analysis to explain) by using software would be give you better understanding.  
  • The book is a bit pricey, considering it is accessible (one year access). However, I got a very good discount on it. Maybe some options needed to rent this book for a few months (depending on your need) to reduce the cost.

In additional to the materials referred, I would like to note the following points who are aspiring to be RMP.

Exam Key Points
  • Analytical Hierarchical Process (AHP), relative comparison.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_hierarchy_process, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHoPEbfnLOE&spfreload=10
  • NLP - approach to communication, personal development, psychotherapy. 
  • Prompt List: PESTLE, TECOP, SPECTRUM
  • Critical Success Factors in Risk Management 
  • Probability x Impact x Urgency x Manageability – Read Chapter 7, "I Want To Be A RMP"
  • Monte Carlo/LHS, got 5-6 question on S-curve and they should be easy if your concepts are clear. Read Chapter - 8, "I Want To Be A RMP".  
  • Situational questions on what will happen next - a lot question as usual typical PMI exam.
  • Statistics - scatter, coefficient correlation, probability.
  • Risk Attitude, Threshold, Utility Theory related with Risk Attitude - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCreeXzCNRc
  • Crawford Slip Model- http://creatingminds.org/tools/crawford.htm. Some people have got questions on it.

Brief Profile: I am Hendro Hadiwinoto and working as a Project Manager, PT Datacomm Diangraha, Indonesia. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign- or Log-in and put your name while asking queries in comments. Any comment is welcome - comments, review or criticism. But off-topic, abusive, defamatory comments will be moderated or may be removed.